Random Sheet of Paper

Notes from the life and words of Addison and Ryland

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

About To Get Older

So Ryland and I were sitting in my car having a picnic lunch in the parking lot of Lake Tomahawk park...yes, mommy was too cold to get out and have an ACTUAL picnic....so we were sitting there eating and practicing snapping. Ryland has the form down but no sound yet...however, after much practice we did hear a small snap and he looked up at me and said, "Mommy, I'm about to get older."

Interesting...he measures age by accomplishments not by the passing time. So he will feel and be older once he can snap. I think this means I am still 25...maybe wishful thinking, but I also don't know that I have learned to do anything new since 25...that can't be true though. I know that I learn things every day...like don't pour cold water in a glass dish just after it has been in the oven (it exploded instantly in our kitchen - one of my many mistakes while cooking). However, I like this idea for measuring age. Rather than feeling like time is slipping through your fingers every day, I could see time as being a slave to my learning curve...not passing me by until I have done something new...once again WISHFUL THINKING!

On the Addison front:

"Mom, I think I know the special person that Jesus has for me when I grow up!"...uh oh...so I said, "really, who is that?" (I have changed the name to protect the innocence of this sweet boy)..."Michael."
Wow! Can't tell Richard that one yet! I have to admit though...I like her choice!

Another note:

Right now as I am sitting here Jacob, Ryland's cousin and little hero, is teaching Ryland the line from 3 Muskateers but the version Ryland keeps saying is, "All for one, and one for two."

5 comments:

  1. I love it heidi so much more interesting than all those other blogs I read! ha I just said that in case they read this! hehe
    I love hearing stories about your kids! they are both so precious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Becky! I don't think anyone is reading! Thanks though

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am....that was mean.
    i'm gonna up my game.
    love this post heidi, sweet to hear how they view life and the way their little minds tick and tock away.
    i don't sit and think about passage of time enough and the little wonderful moments i have with will. thanks for making me think today, you always are good for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new blog! I'm so glad you are recording these moments. I remember from teaching 5 year olds that I wanted to have a tape recorder with me all day long because I could never remember all the little funny comments and stories. I guess a random sheet of paper would have worked too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha.. this is so funny.. I love the all for one and one for two! So cute.. these is a precious blog.. I think (I know) you will cheerish it for years to come.. to be able to look back and read all the funny little comments you kids made.. priceless!

    ReplyDelete