Random Sheet of Paper

Notes from the life and words of Addison and Ryland

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Snow to Sand and Back Again

Wow!!! This Christmas has been anything but boring...or even relaxing for that matter...but it has been fun and memorable. Almost as soon as the snow started here at home we headed to Tybee Island (outside of Savannah) with all of Richard's family for 4 days. We missed most of the BIG snow at home and several days without power, but we made many memories and had a great time together. I really adore Richard's family and appreciate each of them...and the kids, they played non-stop and spent a lot of time in the "hot pool" (the roof top hot tub), as Ryland so appropriately named it.



Star fish...before the bleach...

Roof top outdoor kitchen and "hot pool" with view of the lighthouse and ocean!!


Other than the occasional, "Mom, so-and-so says she is going to tattle tale on me!"...oh the irony!...I was amazed at how little fighting there was. A lot of this was due to Nana Cam taking all the kids every morning for a walk/run-around on the beach and letting them extinguish some of their energy early in the morning. They always came back with lots of great marine treasures to show us. (Tip: don't leave star fish in straight bleach for 4 hours...oops...their treasure turned into tiny pieces...but WHITE they were!)

Over the next week we went to my Mom's house in Charlotte, always warm and welcoming, left the kiddos at her house for a day to get "detailed"...she is like a car wash for kids. I can take them dirty and disheveled and pick them up clean, full, and sparkling (this time also dressed as Superhero's), came home for Richard to scrape driveways and me to set up a dozen Christmas trees for work up until Christmas Eve 7pm...ending in our slightly embarrassing but perfectly fitting Christmas Eve picnic dinner of pizza on our living room floor. Christmas day was great and full of meaning though...

A baby wrapped in a blanket laid in a manger by the Christmas tree (last year's comment from Addie..."Mom, that's not Jesus, that is Ashley (her baby)"), stockings by everyone's bed, presents, brunch, family, snow, fire in the fireplace, love...the works!!!!! It was perfect!
Then off to Dad's in Banner Elk, so festive and fun, 2 feet of snow covered in ice, sledding on our rear ends and not being able to stop, more presents, and food of course!


Now we are home to catch our breath a bit, see some more friends in town, and relish the lazy mornings and long days until the kids start school again and we get back to our rather hectically unpredictable days.

We are greatly blessed, and no matter what the circumstance or unexpected predicament we find ourselves in, I pray that we always see the blessing God has for us in the moment...and we pray that (in Addie's words) "God wraps his arms around you" this season and you too see the blessing.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this post! What fun family time. That place you stayed at looks amazing! And the sledding...how cool is that!
    I can't wait to see you let me know when you aren't working or come by or let me come by or something:) hehe I sound desperate for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Heidi!! Looks like alot of fun. :) Happy Early New Year to you and the family! -Jes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I missed this new blog.. but I'm so glad you posted it on facebook.. I still had your old one on my blog and I didn't know you were writing a new one.

    But what a fun time.. from sand to snow! Those views in St. Simons are breathtaking.. and I love the tip on the starfish.. good thing you did bleach it some though.. if not they will stink up the car on the way home (a tip from us!ha!).. but I love all the photos and it looks like a wonderful time.. your house with the fire looks so cozy.. I wish I could be there, sit by the fire and read a book with a blanket and maybe some hot chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post Heidi! It sounds VERY busy, but a lot of fun. I am craving the cold beach right now. I have never been to the beach in the winter and it seems like it would be fun. I am glad you guys made it back for the snow, at least that you were able to see it, and still see it as we have a ton still! Why did you have 12 trees to decorate? I keep meaning to ask you that. I am thinking it is for the rental houses, but I am just checkin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. busy is right. looks like you guys had so much fun. i love that rooftop kitchen and hot tub, what a great thing to have at the beach.
    glad you guys had a wonderful time in all the places you were.
    you've got great pictures here too, love the one of the kids going down the ice, very cool.
    i guess you got all the trees down now, i thought about calling to ask if i could help, but then i got tired, great friend i am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this post! The pictures are beautiful. Your Christmas does sound like it was so much fun! Especially that beach house!

    ReplyDelete