Random Sheet of Paper

Notes from the life and words of Addison and Ryland

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Year 2010: 1.4% complete

Addison, who likes to be called Addie Grace most of all (but I am her mom and will 82% of the time still call her Addison...because that is, after all, what I named her), is about 79% Richard + 21% me = 100% totally unique Addison.  It is totally awe-inspiring and quite incomprehensible how God takes two individuals and somehow combines them in some strange, fully unique, and always beautiful new way.  And somehow you see traces of your smile or his laugh in this new and individual person.  And then you see it happen again, but totally different....it is 100% miracle!  I could go on about how I like percentages because they are so simple and how God is so infinitely not simple in his ways, but then I remember that this blog is intended to be roughly 92% about Addison and Ryland and how THEY see the world...not me. 

So...
Addison, being very much (79% to be exact) like her father, has a great entrepreneurial spirit.  The other day when it was about 29 degrees outside she set up, not a lemonade stand, but an ICE WATER stand on our front porch (Really?)...she made a table, got a pitcher of ice water, a stack of cups, a chair, a money box, made a sign and sat outside to sell water...so she comes in to me, as I was sitting by the fire (oh the warmth!), to see if I wanted to buy some water from her.  Seriously?  How much? She says $8!  I told her that was crazy and nobody would buy water for $8...so she crossed out $8 on her sign and put $2...I told her the price was still too high and that she needed to be reasonable, but she said that was how much she needed...well, I was quite thirsty....and about a minute later there I was drinking a $2 cup of ice water.  She went back outside to wait on the next customer...from where I don't know.  Finally Richard showed up and somehow she suckered him in to it too.  I had to stop her when she wanted to charge the babysitter for water also.  She told me she wouldn't ask her to pay she would just let her read the sign...oh dear! 


We have also been trying to get Ryland to stop sucking his two middle fingers...PLEASE, anyone have ideas?  So far our pretty unsuccessful tactic has been to scare him by saying if he keeps it up he will have to get braces...so the last couple days he has asked me if he is going to wear bracelets when he grows up even if he is a boy.  Uh oh...I think we need to explain!

9 comments:

  1. I love your percentages too!! That is awesome. I have been thinking about them a lot as well. I guess being pregnant and looking at BellaRose I am blown away by the fact that she is both me and Worth. So wild. Addison is so darn cute selling the most expensive water on earth. I am sure she would actually have a lot of people buy it too. Please let me know when you find a cure for sucking fingers. I know BellaRose is going to need dental work. She already has a crazy over bite. My saving grace is that worth sucked his thumb until he was 7 and never had braces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The precentages are very cute.. I've never thought of it that way.. but I could can totally see myself doing that also..

    With the sucking fingers.. I know they make this fingernail polish taht taste bad to help with not biting nails.. I wonder if it would help.. if the finger nails taste bad.. maybe that would keep the fingers out of the mouth. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stick his hand in dog poop and don't let him wash it! Ha can you imagine! i of course am joking.
    I really love your creative approach to this blog. I have always thought you possessed a unique creative way of living Heidi and I want to encourage you to keep on shining!
    Addison could talk her way out of anything, She will always keep you on your toes! Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, I'm loving your blog! It's so creative. I love that Addison was selling ICE WATER in this cold snap! Cute. As for the finger sucking, I will say that I, too, sucked my thumb until the ripe old age of 7, when my parents bribed me with a Nintendo and it worked. I also didn't have to wear braces, but I remember noticing that my right thumb looked really weird and my parents said it would just keep getting weirder looking if I didn't stop, so that may have helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your comments...especially your weird thumb MC! That is so funny, but makes me feel better...Worth and MC - 100% success withouth having to get braces...I like it. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also sucked my thumb for a long time and no braces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Did your mom use the poop tactic? I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I LOVE this blog!
    First of all I was 0% thirsty when I started looking at the blogs and after discovering and reading this post I am 100% thirsty so could Addison Addie Grace King puhlease send me a glass? I'll pay shipping and interest-I AM that thirsty!

    Second, I never sucked my thumb, never had braces and and have horrible snaggle teeth on the bottom. Hmph maybe the moral of the story is let them suck their fingers and wear bracelets and everyone wins!

    Ok I'm off to suck my thumb, Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your New Site Heidi!!!! And how funny about the $8 or for that matter $2 Water!!!! Love your thoughts and how you write!! Miss you! And miss your Cute little kids....not so little anymore, though! Wish we lived closer!!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete