Random Sheet of Paper

Notes from the life and words of Addison and Ryland

Sunday, February 28, 2010

What makes you laugh?

You can tell a lot about someone by what they laugh at.  It is especially interesting when you are around extended family...you begin to see continuous threads of humor running through an entire family.  Aunts and Uncles laughing, almost in unison, at the same moment.  It is contagious and quite comforting.  I have noticed this on both sides of my family...maybe it is my Mennonite background, but there is a somewhat dry and modestly stated humor, delivered most wittily by the very straight faced relatives.  My Grandma is no exception.  She is quite the story teller, very humble, and very witty with her one-liners...and the amazing thing is that she just turned 98!  My Mom and step-dad Ted, myself and the kids drove up, along with many of the other family members to celebrate this birthday with her.  It was a great time for the kids to connect...really for the first time with some of their second cousins, great aunts and uncles, and of course Great Grandma, Clara Miller. 
Below are some pictures and some highlights from the trip...
- sharing with the kids a bit of our Amish Heritage
- gorgeous snow covered farmland stretching as far as the eye could see
- gigantic ice cycles hanging from every roof...some reaching to the ground
- kids were overjoyed to stay the night in a hotel...they walked in with a "Wow, mom this is amazing!"
- jumping on the beds...shhhhh don't tell
- quality time with family
- seeing and staying with my dear dear friend Susan (the cute picture below of her son Lane and Addie playing horse and bugging!)
- spending time with Grandma and seeing her age oh so gracefully!!!!!!  We love you all!

Sign reads "Horse drawn vehicle parking only"
Our panel of wise souls!

Grandpa and his beloved guestbook!
I would love to hear from you guys....what things make you laugh?
Ryland laughs when an adult gets hurt (I guess he thinks it is funny seeing our weakness too)
Addison laughs at Ryland being silly and dancing
I laugh the most at Becky when she gets silly, at Richard when he is at his funniest around Jon and Jake, and any time I hear Ryland's belly laugh.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Heidi! I would love to meet your grandmother! I laugh the most at times when I'm not supposed to- just tell me not to laugh because it's the wrong time and I can't help it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I am so honored I am what makes you laugh! I think it happens around you alot because I love your laugh! I laugh the hardest at people falling down. The more awkwardly the better!
    I can't believe your grandmother turned 98! glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are so cool, Heidi, looks like such a memorable trip for you, Addison and Ryland. Happy Birthday to your Grandmother! Hope I am making people laugh like that when I'm 98!
    I have been trying to think of what really makes me laugh since I first read this post and I have to say that last night my stomach hurt from laughing with you, Jen and Becky and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you have such a great trip, these pictures are great, your grandma is so beautiful and graceful looking.
    i sure wish i had been there to laugh with you guys about the movie and at jen and becky.
    i have to agree, becky makes me laugh pretty hard as well.
    also, will and his silly looks and sayings.
    thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete